Tony Martin wrote:

> that does the trick - thanks.  I am intrigued that you thought to
> try that,
> but the fact that it works does suggest diferent rendering paths
> similar to
> has_layout.  I guess the question is then, whether this should be
> reported
> as a firefox issue, or can someone come up with an explanation?

Don't do that if you care about Safari, Opera and Konqueror. They
display the floated box as 1px tall.

iCab 303 and Gecko based browsers expand the floated box to the min-
height of the other box but no more; if the content of your other
column exceeds the min-height, two things happen: the floated box
doesn't grow any more, and the background on the box with height and
min-height doesn't grow either (that is the correct behaviour).
Here is a test file
<http://dev.l.c-n.com/_temp/test20060822.php>

I have a hard time understanding the behaviour of Gecko and iCab.
I'll have to review the css 2.1 docs to make sure who's wrong here.

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh
<http://emps.l-c-n.com>