Ooo...how very alliterate. :)

I have a small problem that I can't believe I've run into before this.
I'm trying to place an image inside a sentence.  (Actually, the sentence
is part of an unordered list - it's in the middle of one of the li
tags).  However, the image in question will not align to the baseline of
the text, no matter what I do.  It hovers there, making the line height
annoyingly large, and it appears that, to the image, the baseline is
actually at the top of the words it sits between.

For those of you (like me) who do better with visuals:
blah blah text blah:     text text blah blah blah.

"x" being the image in question.

Now, I wish I could show the stuff to you, but it's for a intranet, and
is not available online (and I can't put it online for NDA reasons).
But I can tell you right now that I have nothing in my stylesheet that
would cause an image to vertically align to the top of anything.  My ul
and li tags are also very basic - the only thing they call for is a
change in text color, and a padding to the left of the UL area to push
it in slightly.

Is there something I'm forgetting when trying to place an image right in
with text?  Would anyone know a trick or something that would push the
image into place?

I'd appreciate any help on this somewhat ambiguous question.

~Shelly