Cliff Pruitt wrote:

> http://www.ccpasco.org/home/home_02.php

> (I'm not really trying to use valid xhtml at the moment, just trying
> to get IE to jump into standards mode.)

You should use an HTML doctype then, like...

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd";>

...since IE6 can't see the difference and has no idea what XHTML is.
Neither do you :-) so better stick to HTML.

The IE-bugs are the need for 'hasLayout'[1] triggers, and a dose of '3px
jog'[2]. These bugs are addressed, and "killed", below.

> 1) The nav menu: I have an ugly pink background set to show me where
> the list items appear.  Even though I'm explicitly setting
> margin:0px; the list items still insist on displaying a gap between
> the items, which i am trying to avoid.

Add, for IE6 (and older versions) only...

  #navMenu li a {height: 1%;}

> 2) The vertical gray line separating the menu from the content: The
> idea is this... Float the menu left & give it a specific width. Then
> set the left margin of the content area to the correct value to male
> its left edge line up with the menu's right edge.  Give both a solid
> border so that the borders overlap.  Then, regardless of which
> element one is higher, I get my vertical line.

Add, for IE/win only...

  #navMenu {margin-right: -4px;}
  #bodyContent {height: 1%; margin: 0}

> My CSS is found here: http://www.ccpasco.org/default.css

The validator can't find it through the page, because of all the errors
in the source-code. Will improve slightly when you use a more
appropriate doctype, but non-valid source-code is neither necessary nor
useful.

You should correct that CC to...

<!--[if lt IE 7]>

...or else IE7 will become confused since Microsoft have fixed /some/ of
the bugs in that "thing". Address IE7 separately when you see it.

regards
        Georg

[1]http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/onhavinglayout.html
[2]http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer/threepxtest.html