On Aug 31, 2006, at 11:08 AM, Philippe Wittenbergh wrote:

>> "http://www.thevillagespain.com/index-new.htm";
>>

>> On the majority of the main browsers, it looks good and works as it
>> should
>> do on all of them bar Safari 1.3 and 2.0 on the Mac.
>
> In div class="bannerholder_homepage" you have inserted a non-breaking
> space ( )
> For some reason, in Safari that non-breaking space jumps up and
> displays *before* the floated element (.stripes_celtic). Replace it
> with a visible character (I put a 'A') and you'll see it. That causes
> all subsequent elements to jump out of alignment.
>
> I've no idea why Safari is doing this.

Hmm, figured it out more or less. Still buggy behaviour in Safari.
The problem comes from #top_header, and the top margin on the next
row (#logos and #bannerholder_homepage).

#top_header has a height specified, and contains a floated block. To
display correctly, the subsequent elements need to clear that header,
or you could force that header to contain the floats

#top_header {
        overflow:hidden;
        margin-bottom:1px;
}
will do just nice.
And then remove the top-margin on #logos and #bannerholder_homepage.

Note: that kind of constructions work better if you use a strict doc-
type.

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh