Dear Folks,

My aim is really simple: float some variable sized thumbnails images
with variable sized captions, and have them float (or arrange
themselves in any way) nicely, so that they don't do silly things
like:

+----+ +----+
|    | |    |
|    | +----+
+----+ +-----+
      |     |
      |     |
      +-----+

instead of doing this, which is more the behaviour I want.

+----+ +----+
|    | |    |
|    | +----+
+----+ +-----+ | | | |
+-----+

I would also like the captions to wrap to the same width as the
thumbnail image.

I have tried using <ul> styled with {list-style: none; float: left;}
but still get the above behaviour, as at
http://linus.nicku.org/arithmetic/arithmeticbook-test.shtml

I have been successful when all images are the same height, so that
the thumbnails at http://linus.nicku.org/trains/ seem to work, but the
captions are in a box that is sometimes too narrow.

The examples I have seen at
http://alistapart.com/stories/practicalcss/ (after converting div -> ul)
and at http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=GalleryFloat involve
setting both the width and the height.  When the height expands
because of enlarging the font, then things seem to go wrong.

Any suggestions are most welcome.
--
Nick Urbanik   RHCE         http://nicku.org        [EMAIL PROTECTED]