Thanks David...

>> I would appreciate help in finding out why I can't get the background
>> image to display properly in Firefox (both Mac and Win). It renders
>> fine in Safari and Opera (Mac) and in IE 6 (Win). If anyone is able
>> to check it in IE 7 I'd appreciate that?
>> page:
>> http://www.dab-hand.co.nz/testbay/eurovision/index.php
>> css:
>> http://www.dab-hand.co.nz/testbay/eurovision/styles/layout.css
>
> XP
> This image *pg_bkg_grfk.jpg* is clipped in mozilla (only the top
> 36px of
> the image shows):
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/
> 20050915
> I do not know what is causing this.
Yes, I hadn't tried Mozilla, but you are right. Thanks for the other
checks, too. This is the problem I'm asking the group as to what it
could be. I'm really only a learner in CSS, and stumped as to what it
could be.

> There seems to be no problem in these browsers (the page appears
> identical)
> ie/6.0
> opera/9.01
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.7)
> Gecko/20060909 Firefox/1.5.0.7
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.4)
> Gecko/20060516 SeaMonkey/1.0.2
>
> aside: how come the 185px horizontal scroll bar at 1280 in all
> browsers?
You are right. I hadn't even noticed that as I've always just worked
within the window which which stretches to whatever size. I've been
testing for users that may increase their font size. I'll have to
have a look, but if anyone can see what the issue is, you are most
welcome to let me know! :-)
David