From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2006 9:47 PM -07:00
To: CSS List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [css-d] Complex forms - is there a final consensus

> [...] One question is running it through markup validation I see
> errors for not having an operning <br> for code ending in <br />. It
> seems though that I've seen it written that way before so I'm not
> sure.

Trust the validator on this one. <br /> is the only correct way to write
a 'break' in XHTML 1.0, regardless of where it is or what others may do.

> Also, IE is showing the partbdiv , right side of form much higher
> then the left , where in FF they were even at the the top.  Any ideas
>  ?

No, but that's easy enough to adjust :-)

I will suggest the following CSS fixes/additions for IE6 (and other
browsers), for a start...

/* kill the ridiculous font-step bug in IE/win */
* html body {font-size: 100%;}

/* trim layout in IE/win */
* html #parta {margin-top: -36px;}
* html #partb {margin-top: 8px;}

/* fix fieldset background in IE/win */
* html fieldset {margin-top: 1em; position: relative;}
* html legend {margin-top: -.9em; position: relative;}

/* give room for text */
input {width: auto;}

...and the layout is still in need of a bit more testing and trimming
across browser-land.

regards
        Georg
--