On Oct 9, 2006, at 2:13 PM, Mark Wheeler wrote:

> I have a textarea inside a div, but the textarea overlaps the div on
> the right side, ignoring the padding there. This happens with the
> current doc type:

>          "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd";>
>
> This particular problem only occurs in FireFox. In IE (PC) it fits,
> but it looks like the div is being stretched out to make the textarea
> work, but then the div is (I think) longer than I want and the "Close
> Window" does not line up correctly. Safari looks great.
>
> But if I change the doc type to:

> it all works. My entire site is base on "loose.dtd", so I really
> don't want to change one page for this "problem". I'm sure I'm
> missing something. Any help would be appreciated. Here is a link to
> the code:
>
> http://www.tonedeafstudios.com/test5.html

You give your textarea a width in %. In strict mode (full doctype)
that doesn't include the border and the padding [1]. As everything
else on the page is defined in px, use that to specify the width of
the textarea.

[1] computed width = width+padding-left+padding-right+ border-left
+border-right.

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh