Something strange is happening in IE6 (as usual). I am creating a
page, using Safari/Mac as my default browser - then every time I
upload a change I check it on PC in IE6/Win. Everything was laid out
in the correct position on both browsers - the page can be seen at:

www.lifeonwheels.com/beta2.

Under the heading are two columns, followed by a footer. At this
point the right column is complete, and I am still adding the left
column content. To help in troubleshooting, I originally placed a
border around the entire page and around the two columns. I removed
both borders to see how things looked - and in IE6/Win the left
column moved under the right column. Turned out that the border
around the two columns is creating the problem. If I remove it (first
line in #colunmwrapper, below) or, if I put in a column style of
"none", the problem occurs.

#columnwrapper {
        border:0.1em solid white;
        border-bottom:5px solid #c90;
        padding-bottom:5px;
        position:relative;
        }

Since my client was going to be viewing the page this weekend, I put
in an invisible border, reflected in the CSS rule above. Note that
the border-bottom (line 2) is part of the design.

Question - why would removing the border declaration cause the entire
left column to move? It was my understanding that a border is not
part of the actual container, only an outline. FYI, the initial CSS
rule for the left column is:

#leftcolumn {
        position:absolute;
        width:690px;
        overflow:hidden;
        }

Any help in understanding why this is happening would be appreciated.
Thanks, LindaQ