On Tuesday 24 October 2006 14:24, Gunlaug Sørtun wrote:
> Yes, IE6 centers block-element by auto-margins when in "standard
> compliant" mode, but there's a flaw in IE when it is served absolute
> positioned elements.

As I wrote before, I read about the "Centering with auto-margins"
technique in Eric Meyer's book "CSS The definitive Guide". Applying this
technique for centering horizontally, Eric gives an example where an
outer DIV with relative positioning wraps an inner one with absolute
positioning.

Two pages on, Eric gives a similar example for vertically centering, but
this time he states that "no version of IE supported the
vertical-centering behavior ...", i.e. explicitly limiting the flaw to
vertically centering.

So I was in doubt about whether I did something wrong. Thanks for
acknowledging that IE is the flaw :-)

> Result: the auto-margins becomes useless in that browser.

Any workarounds available? I used absolute positioning to take the element
out of the normal page flow and display it on top of other text (with
opacity applied). I reckon, floated elements can not be used instead.

Cheers
Daniel