Gareth Rodger wrote:

>Tom,
>
>I've never had a problem using 'custom' font-families.
>I usually try to tick the following boxes;
>[...]
>* I don't generally use non-standard fonts (in-fact - I have only
>done this once for a presentation on my machine)
>[...]
>

>>Tom wrote:
>>[...]
>>I am being asked for "ammunition" against pushing custom font families
>>to visitors of a Web site. Anyone have any references on this? I know
>>it has been discussed, but google has been fruitless as of yet.

Hi Tom,
About sending embedded fonts the visitor's systems which are missing our
delightful non standard font, I explored also some branches in the
Google labyrinth. Not much fruit!

    * Font embedding with css: the @font-face selector ... and more
      <http://home.tiscali.nl/developerscorner/fdc-varia/font-embedding.htm>.

My conclusion: even if a visitor's pc/mac can handle embedded fonts, the
server side can have difficulties. Lots of fonts (most?) have an
"embedding prohibition bit" in the file, and the only way is to install
the font first instead of just reading the webpage in the browser. I
guess it are strong © and money reasons of the font owners.... [1]

So I'm afraid the font embedding problems are more contra-ammunition ...
... unless it is about an Intranet, in which all client systems can get
installed the wanted font. :-)

Greetings,
francky

[1]
Now there is a "buy font" market (Google for that!) with 10,000's of
fonts to buy.
"Prices starting at $20.00 !" and "Adobe Type Collection just $3,999 ! -
Save $1,000 !".
If I'm not wrong, once embedded, they should be free to get! ;-)