On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 14:23:11 -0500, Santiago Restrepo wrote:
[...]
> This site <http://www.utp.edu.co/pruebacrie> works
> beautifully in  firefox and safari, but it's a total mess in IE. I
> want to ask, why the automatic margins don't work? the site's
> supposed to be centered, but i have no idea why isn't working in IE.

Hi Santiago,

As David Laakso already observed, you have no DOCTYPE, so all versions
of IE run in "backwards compatible" or "quirks" mode, with lots of
non-standard behavior. David's suggestion to add a suitable DOCTYPE is
a good one, although that won't fix IE prior to version 6.

The solution for older IE, as well as IE 6 or 7 in "quirks" mode, is to
put a declaration of "text-align: center;" in the rule for the BODY
selector, which (wrongly) centers everything inside it, not just the
text. Add the declaration "text-align: left;" to the rule for
"contenedor" to correct the text alignment.

In the same way, add "text-align: center;" to the "contenedor_gris"
rule, and "text-align: left;" to the rule for "contenido".

I hope you understand my explanation. Your English seems very good, so
I am assuming you are fluent. (I am living in California now, and have
absolutely no excuse for not knowing Spanish!)

Cordially,
David
--
www.hucklesby.com