Hi Morgana!

With the advent of IE7, CSS 2.1 is now quite well supported in modern
browsers, but unfortunately IE6 is likely to remain the majority
browser for several years yet :-( Apart from its many layout bugs (eg
the ones detailed at
http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer.html) IE6 doesn't support
advanced selectors like p > a, p + p, a[href], etc - rendering them
next to useless apart from little styling 'treats' for people using
more standards-compliant browsers. More seriously, it doesn't support
the properties min-/max-height/width, content and probably more.

Some people here may object to the recommendation, but I found
Dreamweaver MX2004 (in code mode) very useful when I was learning CSS,
as it has a nice autocomplete feature, and warns about differing
browser support.

Welcome to the exciting and only occasionally infuriating world of CSS!

Chris

On 11/28/06, Morgana <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm sure this has been asked hundreds of times, but as I'm new, please
> forgive the repetition. What's the safest css version to work with at
> the current time, given the varying degrees of browser support... IOW,
> should I stick with CSS earlier than 2, to assure the broadest
> support? If this is laid out somewhere for me to simply read about,
> please feel free to point me in the right direction, and I'll read up.
> Many thanks from a longtime designer, but too-new css 'jockey'.
>
> - Jean
>
> PS: Are there any BrowserCam groups here wanting another member? If
> so, please contact me off-list. Please excuse req, and thanks again.

Chris Ovenden

http://thepeer.blogspot.com
"Imagine all the people / Sharing all the world"