On 19/12/06, Stephanie Leary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Example:
> http://stephanieleary.net/progress-test/
>
> For goal #10, I tried
> background-position: -76% 50%;
>
> ...but it doesn't work. If I do the math and specify the pixels, it does:
> background-position: -152px 50%;
>
> (Actually, that doesn't work in Safari either, but I'm willing to deal with
> Safari later.)
>
> Why won't the percentage work?

Given that the 'Sliding Doors' (and many others of a similar nature)
technique is based on images with positioned graphics, it makes sense
to use an absolute measurement based on the original image. Percentage
usage on a cross-browser basis gives *very* varied mileage, as well.

You could use a script action to do the calculation of the exact
positioning value of the background-image, given the intended result.

IMO, of course. :)
--
Cheers,
Sasha