Hugo Heriz-Smith wrote:
> http://www.stephenporterstudio.com/html/stainless.html

> So - if anyone has a suggestion of an elegant way to get that done,
> I'd love to hear it. I am hoping that there's a nicer way to do this
> than setting up 8 hidden tables that get swapped during the click.

Depends on whether you want a page which basically doesn't tell visitors
anything without full Javascript, CSS and image support, or if you want
a page that (at least has a chance to) tell all visitors what this is
all about - regardless of support. That's _your_ decision to make.

If you want to check how much (or how little) information your page
provides at a basic level at the moment, then you should open up your
site to 'Lynxview'...
<http://www.delorie.com/web/lynxview.html>
...and run it through there.
I can't do that, but I have already checked it in the real thing - Lynx,
and it doesn't tell me much about the sculptures at the moment.

Suggestion:

You already have a list (of thumbnails), so you can add pretty
informative captions to each picture. Then you can "show" them, "hide"
them (preferably with an 'off-screen' method) or "position" them one by
one relative to the big picture, as the design requires and support
allows for. The page will "look" the same and "behave" as you intend,
but it will be a lot more informative on all levels.

I can't do much with Javascript yet, so I can't tell you how to swap a
caption on click. I know how to swap during :hover with CSS, but that's
not good enough for what you've got there - it just tells me that it
should not be too hard to achieve.
Anyway, a well thought out mix of html, css and javascript should give
you a pretty well-working, accessible and informative page for all visitors.

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no