Gunlaug Sørtun wrote:

> ...and now that the source-code is fine (almost), we can hunt down that
> IE 'duplicate' bug.
>
> The trigger is...
>
> .hide {
> display: none;
> }
>
> ...but I have not encountered this bug-version before so I have no idea
> why. (IE/win behaves in mysterious ways...)
>

> Anyway, the solution is to restyle '.hide', and use an "off-screen"
> variant to hide those elements from view...
>
> .hide {
> position: absolute;
> top: -9000px;
> left: -9000px;
> }
>
> ...and the 'duplicate' is gone.
>

> If anyone know this particular IE 'duplicate' bug - now is the time to
> tell us about it. I dislike having a fix without knowing more about the
> cause - even for an old IE/win bug :-)
>
> regards
>       Georg

I made a quick test case on this [1], and IE XP SP2 (including IE7,
didn't they [2] say they have fixed it?) shows duplicated characters
triggered by HTML comments, input type=hidden, and display:none content.

The display:none thing is mentioned in the PIE article [3], and I
remember vaguely someone has documented it, but did not find the link.

Regards,

Ingo

[1] http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/tmp/dupcharbug.html
[2] http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/08/22/712830.aspx