I did a bunch more reading (and associated confusion) with this result:

Site:  http://scottriggs.com/2007/index.html

CSS: http://scottriggs.com/2007/css.html

1.  I used Francky's suggestion:

* The 3 small images (car and logos) with associated text at the top
of the right column: this is one of the points where the layout is
breaking at larger font-sizes (because of the fixed 49px height of
the .links class). Can be repaired by deleting this style rule.
Another quick way to get it unbreakable with the text staying
vertically centered, is to apply a css-styled table for them. See
testpage <http://home.tiscali.nl/developerscorner/css-discuss/test-
mike.htm> (other things still have to be done).

And it worked great.

2. Don't really understand this comment though:

* Sometimes you are using a CLASS and an ID with the same name. For
the most elements, I found in the stylesheet only the ID-references
(with the # before the name). For elements with only the ID-styles
the CLASSes in the html can be missed.

3. Back to having trouble in IE Mac 5.2 with the page not centering
in browser.

4. My biggest issue is not being able to get the left and right
columns to expand down (with more content) and pull the other column
with it:

http://scottriggs.com/2007/indexv2.html

CSS and HTML validated.

Thanks,