> 1) does anyone have an idea of how to approach learning CSS other
> than just learning the tags and learning case by case how browsers
> react in different ways?

I think nowadays there are "traditional" methods as various books,
courses and workshops that can probably teach the best methods of
avoiding such situations and erratic behavior:

<http://www.digital-web.com/types/book_reviews/>
<http://www.webteacher.ws/labels/book%20review.html>
<http://www.amazon.com/Pro-CSS-Techniques-Jeff-Croft/sim/159059732X/1/ref=pd_sexpl_esi/105-7846670-4914826>

<http://www.d.umn.edu/itss/support/Training/Online/webdesign/events.html>

You can also find many CSS design patterns as:

<http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2007/01/19/53-css-techniques-you-couldnt-live-without/>

> 2) what do people think of trying to encode all this data / case
> studies on this list into some sort of expert system

Most of the information is stored decentralized with only lists to
summarize that. To have an idea how it looks like have a look at:

<http://www.artypapers.com/csshelppile/scribble.php>

--
Jan Brasna :: www.alphanumeric.cz | www.janbrasna.com | www.wdnews.net