> from what i've read it is my understanding that absolute positioning will
> position an element absolutely based upon the nearest positioned element. so
> if i have an absolute position in my code that is directly under a
> relatively positioned element it should place it in relation to that object
> rather than at the top of the page correct? this is a confusing issue to me
> for some reason

Not to the nearest positioned element, it'll position it relative to
the nearest positioned -ancestor-. So if it's parent element is
positioned, it'll position relative to that.  If it's
great-grandparent is positioned, and its grandparent and parent
aren't, it'll position relative to the great-grandparent.  If none of
its ancestors are positioned, it'll position relative to the root
(html) element.