bill scheider wrote:
> I really like the design of the site; it has a nice, open feel that I like.

That's exactly what my cliennt was after. But it takes a lot of space as
you noticed.

> The same as David noted, in IE6 on xp on my machine, the left side logo
> starts to disappear at text-size 'large'. At text-size 'largest', the logo
> is gone and much of the information (on the home page, at least) also falls
> off the left side and, again as David said, is irretrievable. Screenshot on
> ie6 at text largest:
> http://first-encounter-design.dreamhosters.com/imgs/24-10.jpg

I primarily develop with firefox on linux and mac. So i have to dig into
that one. And i guess it is something that should be taken care of,
isn't it?

(to be honest, I thought IE 6 wasn't able to zoom....
so i never tested for it....
stupid eh?)

> I'd also like to echo what Daniel said about window size. I'm not as averse
> to a horizontal scrollbar as David is but I sometimes think they're an
> inconvenience that I can minimize with a little foresight. When designing a
> site that can be scaled, I design so I won't get a horizontal scrollbar at
> about 800px wide at medium text in IE

David already mentioned the same; thus 800px is a generally accepted
rule (of the thumb?) for width without scrolling?

> and then, if possible, try to not have
> critical content, i.e., navigation, primary text, fall off if the text is
> zoomed to large.

That's one of the reasons the home disappeared from the menu bar.

> One other comment I have about your site: I know it's a convention, but it
> took me a bit to realize that the way back to the home page was through the
> link on the logo. A home navigation button would have helped.

And there quite a couple of places with the link:

- terug naar reading Utrecht -

Which is the  same  as "home" but then i a  sentence of the Dutch language.

Thanks, Erik