On 3/23/07, david <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Barney Carroll wrote:
> > david wrote:
> >> Or avoid a bunch of hacks and just use conditional comments to feed IE7
> >> what it needs. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet!
> >
> > Quite refreshing, innit? I think it's because conditional comments
> > aren't CSS.
> >
> > Increasingly I find more people find it more important to maintain
> > honestly valid HTML than CSS - as long as the markup is sparkling, the
> > horrors underneath can twist and turn to accommodate whatever will eat them.
>
> CSS is a powerful thing, but it is intended to work with valid HTML (as
> the W3C CSS validator reports). Clean, basic HTML avoids problems. And
> conditional comments don't interfere with that at all.

I think it's disingenuous to call conditional comments "clean, basic
HTML". We all want to do beautiful, cross-platform, futureproof page
layouts using semantic, accessible markup; unfortunately user agents
are currently not quite up to the job (and, much as I love it, I have
to include Firefox in this). So we hack; or, less pejoratively, we
work around known issues with the user agents we're given - counting
our blessings that we live in 2007 and not 1997. Whether we hack the
CSS, the HTML or a bit of both is a matter of personal choice
(personally I'm with Barney on this) - but call it what it is and
don't try to pretend to purity.

Chris

--
Chris Ovenden

http://thepeer.blogspot.com
"Imagine all the people / Sharing all the world"