I'm having an issue here I've never come across before.

I've got a site changed out from tables to XHTML Transitional/CSS.  I
need a couple of conditional comments for teensy edits, but I'm having a
headache of a time.

If I set the conditional like so:

<!-- if [IE] >
stuff here
<! [endif] -->

(with or without spaces), then IE6 reads this fine, but IE7 completely
ignores it.

However, if I write it like this:

<!if[IE]>
stuff here
<![endif]>
(with or without spaces) then IE7 will apply the changes, but IE6 will
display "<![endif]>" at the very top of all the pages.

Why is it doing this?  I can't find anything on this at all - and it's
never happened to me before.  Anyone have any ideas?

~Shelly