On 30/04/07, Skip Knox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It appears that the padding actually expanded the size of the div
> which, since I set it inline at a specific width, I certainly did not
> expect and don't know how to explain.

Width is "Width of content", padding goes around the width (and then
the border goes around the padding).

http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=BoxModel

> My students are going to ask the obvious follow-up, too; namely, since
> this doesn't seem to work, if I *did* want to add some left-right space,
> without expanding the box beyond the picture, how would I go about it?

Either reduce the width by the sum of the left and right padding, or
use a child container with the padding you want and width "auto".

--
David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk><http://blog.dorward.me.uk>