At 5/6/2007 12:43 AM, Dave M G wrote:
>I have a <div> that contains the main body of content. I have a menu for
>navigation. For the layout, I'd like to have the menu appear as a
>horizontal set of links above the main content <div>.
>
>In the current layout, the menu has an absolute position, and is
>oriented to the top right of the viewport.

off-topic:  Is this necessary?  When you enlarge the text size, don't
the menu and the content overlap?  If the menu weren't absolutely
positioned, it would simply push the content down normally as it enlarged.

>If my menu is to be relatively positioned in the layout,
>and appear above the content <div>, then it needs to be in the HTML code
>before the content. My understanding of good usability requirements for
>the flow of HTML code is that navigations menus should go below content.
>That way people with screen readers or non-CSS don't have to move past
>repetitive content after each page load.

Would it help if you positioned the content N ems from the top of the
page so that as the menu enlarges the content moves down?  That
approach can't accommodate the unpredictability of word-wrap, but it
might help if a) you keep your menu on one row or b) the user doesn't
enlarge too much.

Alternatively, I'm under the impression that skip-nav links are a
commonly accepted strategy.  That enables you to place the menu
before the content but still not force anyone to read through it.

If your menu is so large that viewing the page without CSS pushes the
content below the fold in, say, 800x600, I suggest that your menu
might be unnecessarily large.  Does it include sub-menus for each
section of the site?  In recent years I've moved away from the
attitude that one should be able to navigate to any page of the site
with a single click.  Asking the user to click to drill into the site
tree isn't really so egregious, and simple menus create a relaxed
atmosphere in which the user can visualize all the options at any one time.

Regards,

Paul