Del,

I have a form where the user is allowed to enter comments (textarea) (among
other things) and then I display a confirmation page with all entries
displayed as text.

comments will fit here and wrap as needed</span></p>

span.disabledValue
{
        width:17em;
        float:left;
        border:1px solid #c0c0c0;
        color:#c0c0c0;
        padding:.125em .5em;
        margin-bottom:.25em;
        height:1.25em;
}

span#spnComments
{
        height:auto;    /* Let the comments be as tall as needed, with the
minimum specified in previous rule */
}

--G