Found it!  Thought I was losing my mind. (Not that I'm not, but this was
for reals!)

Apparently there is a set of settings in IE7 under General,
Accessibility -->
You can actually  set it to Ignore the 1) colors 2) font styles and 3)
font sizes specified on web pages.

Somehow mine were set to ignore 2 and 3.

Could you imagine chasing this one if your client had those changed and
complained about how the thing was looking.!

Best,