Combining several techniques, I've created the top level navigation
for this page here:

http://demo.kelleninteractive.net/phii/www/test.html

The images that are used for the navigation are structured as follows:

http://demo.kelleninteractive.net/phii/www/images/nav_subjects.gif
top: normal state
middle: hover state
bottom: active state

Firefox2 behaves as expected, so you can view that page in Firefox 2.x
to see the desired results.

Here is a chunk of the relevant CSS (the code for 1 of the navigation items)

#nav li#nav_programs{
   background: url("../images/nav_programs.gif") no-repeat; width: 67px;
}

#nav li#nav_programs:hover, #nav li#nav_programs.sfhover{
   background-position: 0 -43px;
}

#nav li#nav_programs.active{
   background-position: 0 -86px;
}

IE6 will only process the first declaration.  That is; the way it is
set up now, the hover state will work correctly but the active state
will not.  If I declare the active state first in the css, the active
state will work and the hover state will not.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated; I've been beating my
head against a wall on this one for about an hour.

Brian