Rakesh Pai wrote:
> Consider the following markup:

>     ... header stuff here

>     ... lots of markup

>     ... Some footer stuff
>

> Now, let's assume that the #leftColumn is floated left, the
> #rightColumn is floated right, and the #footer clear:both the floats.
> Also, as per the design, the body has a black background, and some
> wrapper for this markup has a light patterned background.
>
> The problem is that until the footer is loaded in the markup, the
> content in the leftColumn and rightColumn is unreadable since the
> floats are not cleared making the background black. If the amount of
> markup in the left and right columns is a lot, there's a perceivable
> delay in loading the footer, making the page unusable till that time.
>
> Is there a solution to this problem? Colleagues are suggesting that I
> use tables to ensure that the background is available, but I don't
> like the idea. Note that I cannot give the left column and the right
> column a background, since I need the pattern to show up through them.
>
> This is very urgent, so speedy responses will be greatly appreciated.

You could always use a min-height so that the wrapper takes up some
vertical space with its background showing up straight away,
alternatively do you have overflow: hidden; set on the wrapper? That
would make it wrap the floats straight away.
The other suggestion I have is that it's not your problem at all but the
speed of the software. Too often I have people hounding me because of
how a site loads up but the problem is down to slow software. You can't
fix that with css. You can only make it less obvious.

Rob