On 09-Jul-07, at 8:54 AM, Frank Burleigh wrote:

> Rahul Gonsalves wrote:
>> On 09-Jul-07, at 5:13 AM, Frank Burleigh wrote:
>>> Hello, list.  We've been working on this site:
>>> http://firms.law.indiana.edu/about/blank.shtml
>>>
>>> I'd appreciate your review.  I'm interested in any critique you'd
>>> care
>>> to make, including visual design and its CSS design and
>>> implementation.
>> Hi Frank,
>> All to be taken with a grain of salt.
>
> ;-)
>
>> I would increase the line-height of the body text, and set a
>
> done: 1.2 instead of 1.1.  also added more padding left and right.
> if you'd care to reply, i'd appreciate knowing if you find that
> more comfy to read.  it's my impression that ie 6 and maybe 7
> doesn't respect the max-widths.  'course that's no reason not to
> help users of better browsers. ;-)
>
>> max-width...40 - 66 characters is, I believe, an ideal line length
>> - when I browse full screen (1280px), it becomes far too long to
>> read comfortably. I would also have some kind of visual feedback
>> happening on the links in the sidebar, either a colour change or
>> adding an underline of some sort.
>
> also agreed.  restored underlining on hover.
>
>> Lastly, the top banner is a bit stark...could that be changed,
>> maybe even the addition of a texture, gradient or something, to
>> take away from the grey?
>
> also agreed.  i'm thinking about an airier treatment for the across-
> site navigation using a mild white/rust vertical gradient, with
> maybe some curves around the "current" piece of the site.  there's
> also to be a graphic for the right that's supposed to mean "law
> firm."  that could take me a while. ;-)

It looks far more comfortable to read, the increased line-height
helps. Yes, IE (not sure about 7) does not respect max-width, but I
think there is a fairly simple javascript expression that can help it
along.

How about trying a dotted underline (using the border property)
rather than the text-decoration?

Best,
  - Rahul.