All,

I just found the list yesterday and am so glad there is such a resource!
Jumping right in, I have what I hope is not a waste of everyone’s time
question, but might help others.

I have been looking at Zen Garden a lot the last couple of days and noticed
that when I send it to the printer I get a very neatly formatted text page,
stripped of all graphics. That is great! That’s exactly what I’m looking for.
Even if I have “Print background Images” checked (FF on MAC OSX or FF on Win
XP), I still get just the text. This led me to discover through other searches
that you could link specific style sheets for specific devices. Very cool!

Currently I’m working on several sites here (Sorry but they’re all behind
firewalls on Dev servers; otherwise I would have provided links. Trust me I
would have!) that are full of patient educational materials. I would love to
have users be able to print my pages without graphics, and navigation elements,
which just don’t matter when they walk away with their printouts. What
currently happens is my page looks great on screen, it validates with the W3
validation tool, but when I go to print, what should come out in three pages
(as if printed from Word), comes out as three pages of the following. First
page is background color and just a header. Second page is my text and
navigation, but the text gets cut off at the bottom of the page. The last page
is just the footer with background color. That second page where the content
gets cut off never continues to another page! Arghh! All this happens even
though everything is surrounded by a wrapper div.

I’ve tried to imitate the structure of Zen Garden’s markup in a sample page
(content first, navigation last) which is MUCH different from how I would have
normally laid out the page and am getting much different results. I.e. body
text is shoved to the right as if it were still in a fixed width column,
disclaimer/footer text flowing along the left hand side of the body text. I
would normally code top to bottom, left to right, which would put navigation
elements before body text.

I’m going to assume that the way Zen Garden was coded follows web standards,
which honestly, I’ve never really looked into (Feel free to chastise). Would
working in a web standards compliant way, lead me to the path of enlightenment
when it comes to my end users being able to print my pages, stripped of
graphics? Or do I really only require a simple print version for the CSS that
will override all my web rendering formatting?

I realize this is a rather broad based question, feel free to give broad
answers, as I didn’t want to deluge this post with 50 questions. And before you
suggest it, I do plan on picking up a Web Standards book this weekend anyway.
I’m just really curious if I need to relearn how to code pages with CSS in
order to solve this printing issue.

Thanks everyone!

Luke Ling

Checked by AVG Free Edition.