I'm having what I think might be a well known problem with IE, but have
tried all the usual solution to no avail. My CSS menu at
www.henryfelton.net/ca has mysterious white space between the <li>s. FF
shows exactly what is wanted in terms of spacing, with a dividing bar
1px high (anyone think of a better way of doing this?) but, again, IE6
manages to lose the 1px requirement, and IE7 the entire <li>!
--------------------------

Hi Henry,

Instead of adding the background image and empty (superfluous) list
items, you could just use a bottom border on the #navigation li
elements.
Alternatively you could put the background image on there using a 1px
image set to left bottom repeat-x, with the desired main background
color stated after it to fill the rest of the li space.
Adding padding:0; to the same element should sort out the spacing
issues.

Also I noticed that you have href attributes in your img tags which is
causing validation failure.

Hope that helps,

James