> (However, note that <b> and <i> are *not* deprecated and are fine
> to use
> when we do not MEAN strong or emphasis.  For example it is proper
> to use
> <i> for the title of a magazine article, or for foreign terms.  In
> these
> cases we use italics not to suggest stress, but just because that
> is the
> way Strunk and White tell us to format them.  There is no semantic
> meaning in these latter cases.)

I use the <cite> tag for titles of books or the names of magazines
(styleguides vary widely, but I always put the title of an article in
quotes). This seems more correct than any other approach I've
encountered. The definitions I've encountered for <cite> are often
vague and weird. They seem to describe situations where <q> or
better about using <cite> for titles!

So, I use <cite> for titles that belong in italic text, <em> for
emphasis, and <i> in cases of extreme laziness or maybe some oddball
situations. Foreign terms are a good example - there's no
particularly semantic tag for those, is there? (Yes, you could make a
span class, but that's pretty annoying).

I don't use <b> for anything anymore and it's pretty rare that I find
cases to use <strong>. (But I have a lot of elements with a font-
weight: bold.) Does anyone find real uses for the <b> tag?

- Jason

--
http://jasondas.com