Scott Johnson wrote:
> http://datastream.irregulara.org/

> As you can see, I've been experimenting with the YUI GridBuilder.
> (Weirdness #1: The YUI CSS doesn't seem to validate. The page
> validates, however.)

> Page renders properly in Firefox2 (Mac/Win), Safari, and IE7 (with a
> few tweaks) in IE6, the right column gets pushed underneath the
> center content area.

IE6 is choking on the 'em' sized containers with 'em' sized margins,
probably caused by a mix of "not too well tested solutions" in that
Gridbuilder and your own choice of selectors from same.

There simply isn't enough room for the wider, fixed-width, elements
inside each 'em' sized container at normal font sizes, and IE6 can't
handle overflow properly - it "auto-expands" the containers. That's
what's causing the float drop.

You can test by simply adding...

* html div {overflow-x: hidden;}

...which will prevent "auto-expansion" by hiding the overflow.
All columns will line up correctly then, but, of course, that doesn't
solve anything - just indicates what's wrong with your layout in IE6.

There's too much garbage in that Gridbuilder to do any serious debugging
at my end, so you'll have to work your way through it all, fix the real
problems, and make sure the elements you put in there works with the
'em' sized containers.

regards
        Georg
--