On Mon, 10 Sep 2007, Barney Carroll wrote:

> Barney Carroll wrote:
>> What is the system behind generated content? What are my resources?
>
> Sorry for wasting time: The resources /are/, as ever, on the W3 spec ?
> to whom it may concern: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/generate.html#quotes

I'm afraid there are disappointments ahead. To begin with, generated
content is not supported at all by IE. I'm not sure I see what you intend
to use it for, since the URL refers to the discussion of quotation marks,
whereas as your original question referred to line breaks.

You can use "\0A" in generated content to include a line break there, but
it will be treated as a space by default. You would need to set
white-space: pre or something similar to make "\0A" appear as a line break
in rendering.