On Mon, 17 Sep 2007, Ross Hulford wrote:

> Is it possible to break up words inside a table? My words when too long jump
> to the next line instead of breaking up.

You are basically out of luck with CSS in this issue. However, maybe your
page or your table as a whole could be modified (in content or in styling)
so that the problem does not arise.

If the problem cannot be avoided, the practical approaches are:

1) Use ­ if you wish to suggest a hyphenation point, so that
foo­bar will appear either as foobar on one line or as
foo-
bar
on two lines. This conforms to the HTML specification and is supported by
most modern browsers except Firefox.

2) Use <wbr> if you wish to suggest a string break point, so that
foo<wbr>bar will appear either as foobar on one line or as
foo
bar
(i.e. with no hyphen) on two lines. This does not conform to any
specification but is supported by most modern browsers.

There is no property for this in CSS specifications. IE recognizes the
nonstandard word-wrap property, which can be used to suggest "emergency
breaks", i.e. the string is to be broken (with no hyphen) at an arbitrary
point.

More info: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/nobr.html#suggest