As promised, I've gone through the entire set of styles again, and found
that the simplest factors are the easiest to miss :-)

You have an [if lt IE 7] style-block in the page head, and those styles
will of course override what's in the stylesheet and make everything
fail in IE6 and older versions.

Of course: my first example worked just fine, since I had placed all
corrections in a style-block _after_ the [if lt IE 7] style-block. It is
a matter of order and specificity - that I overlooked.

Again: <http://www.gunlaug.no/tos/alien/jg-2/test_07_0926.html>

1: All new styles moved to the stylesheet where they have replaced the
old ones...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/tos/alien/jg-2/nav.css>
...and my styles are easy to see since I don't use indentations - a
"personal preference" thing.

2: I've deleted all unnecessary and disturbing styles in the [if lt IE
7] style-block in the page-head, so IE6 gets its corrections but will
otherwise follow what's in the stylesheet. It is *important* that you
transfer my corrections to your own page, or else it will fail in IE6 again.

3: I unexpectedly found that my "contain floats" method misfired in one
browser - disturbing the dropdown, so I've changed that to the
"easyclearing"[1] method - and tested again.

4: The use of 'font-size: small' on #menuh triggers IE/win's "font
resizing bug"[2], so I changed that to 'font-size: 82%'. Choose another
value if you like, but avoid the use of "keywords" if you want bug-free
and somewhat identical font size across browser-land.

regards
        Georg

[1]http://www.positioniseverything.net/easyclearing.html
[2]http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/wd_additions_13.html