Philippe Wittenbergh  wrote:

> On Oct 4, 2007, at 2:02 PM, Erin Spangler wrote:
>
> > I'm seeing some expected behavior in Firefox and (gasp!) IE is
> > displaying the page correctly. I've validated my page. As the code is
> > written, I would expect the first two (vertical #3 and #4) images to
> > float to the right and the third (horizontal #5) image would wrap
> > around
> > and end up under the larger main image. Browsercam shows IE and opera
> > displaying it as expected and Firefox and Netscape are somehow
> > bringing
> > the third image up and over the top of the first two??? ...
> >
> > Relevant HTML:  (http://www.bluegenefrenchies.com/french-bulldog-
> > girls.html)
>
> The large image on the left (sweetpea-metal2.jpg) in a <p> with class
> floatleft is pushing down the two images in the p with class
> floatright. Correct behaviour. Then the 3rd image (sweetpea-
> metal5.jpg) moves up and to the right of the image #2, that sounds
> correct as well.
> iCab, WebKit and Safari all show the same thing.
>
> Philippe
> ---
> Philippe Wittenbergh
> <http://emps.l-c-n.com>

Hi Philippe

I would disagree with you on your last point since the 3rd`image is layered
over a float and I believe that should only happen if the 3rd image had a
negative bottom margin. Having done a test [1], I would believe that Opera
shows the correct behavior and it is the ambiguous nature of the markup that
leads to the wrong behavior as seen in FF, iCab, WebKit and Safari (I can only
check in FF). IE as 'usual' is just showing it's bugs with hasLayout and floats.

Erin, you will find three possible solutions in the source. All changes in
style are inline.

[1] <http://css-class.com/test/imagesoverfloats.htm>

Kind Regards, Alan
<http://css-class.com/>