Sean Edison-Albright wrote:
> IE7 seems to be displaying the correct submenu when I hover over an
> element, but when I mouse down to the submenu, I lose the submenu.

> http://www.edison-albright.com/index.2menu.html

IE7 isn't any good at handling vertical padding on inline-elements, so
the parent's area doesn't reach down to the children.

Try changing the line-height instead, to achieve something like...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/tos/alien/sea/test_07_1019.html>
<http://www.gunlaug.no/tos/alien/sea/2menu.css>

> If no one has any thoughts on it, I'd be happy to just disable :hover
>  on non a elements in IE7, but I can't seem to manage that -- I was
> under the impression that changing DOCTYPE from strict to something
> else would do so, but I guess I was mistaken.

You have "standard" and "quirks" mode...
<http://gutfeldt.ch/matthias/articles/doctypeswitch/table.html>
...but "Strict" vs. "Transitional" has no effect.

It's easy to push IE7 back into "quirks" mode though...
<http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/quirksmode.html>

BTW: You shouldn't try to fix your document with neither the right nor
the wrong doctype...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/wd_additions_25.html>
...because even though you may convince a browser, the validity of your
document depends on anything *but* doctype...
<http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.edison-albright.com%2Findex.2menu.html&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&ss=1&group=0>

regards
        Georg
--