Francois Jordaan wrote:
> Thanks for the response, Bruno.
>
>> At list in part, the problem is caused by absence of white space.
>
> What you say makes sense. I had originally deliberately removed all
> whitespace because it caused uneven line-height.
>
> I've updated my test page with a number of different whitespace variants:
> http://www.fjordaan.net/tests/inline-list-test.html
>
> The best variant is (4), but linebreaks are *still* unpredictable, sometimes
> breaking phrases, sometimes not. The annoying thing is that this is only a
> problem in Firefox, IE displays all the variants as desired. Line-height is
> also completely different between IE and FF.

My first reaction was that if IE displays it "right" and Firefox gets it
"wrong," then there's something wrong with the page itself. But yours
passes XHTML validation. The CSS has two places where you use
"background:" followed only by a color name; it should really be
"background-color:".

FWIW, in FF 2.0.0.6 on Linux, I don't see any problem with breaking
phrases. I mean, phrases break, but you already have other visual
indications where one link/phrase ends and another begins.

About the line height settings. 133.3% seems to me to be silly. I think
it's just asking to trigger any browser bugs about just how that final
".3%" is translated into a real-world pixel. I liked the line heights
better when I changed it to 1.3 (no units).

--
David
[EMAIL PROTECTED]