> I understand all the accessibility concerns
> surrounding splash pages, but my question is, were I
> to want to design a site that had a large photo as
> it's main intro page, is there any way I can do this
> as ok for standards-based design methods?

Splash pages themselves don't go against any standards as far as I
know, they're just horribly annoying.  The only accessibility issue
I'm aware of is the fact that when you go to example.com, you expect
to get to example.com, not a page with a link -to- example.com.  I
guess just make sure that if the images used have any content value
that they have alt's.  But if I ever stumble across your site, I'll be
hitting the back button.