I run a members only forum and I have created an online chat based on
the Ajax Chat code provided by blueimp.net.  This is mostly javascript
writing into some empty containers on a web page.  It is all working
perfectly in firefox, but in internet explorer v6 I am having problems.

In essence, the main area for the chat is a absolute positioned div with
the subcomponents (the chat message list, the online members list etc)
as absolute positioned divs within that surrounding div.

In firefox I can make this overall area position itself under the header
and fill the rest of the browser window with the following css

#loginContent {
        position:absolute;
        top:140px;
        left:0px;
        bottom:0px;
        width:100%;
        min-height:300px;
}

In IE6 the size of this div appears to be one line.  How can I make it
fill the rest of the window?

Similarly, the size of the internal boxes

#chatList {
        position:absolute;
        left:20px;
        right:230px;
        top:50px;
        bottom:125px;
        overflow:auto;
}

Gives a fixed size box in firefox, but in IE6 it only has the size of
the content and so initially starts small and then grows as more and
more messages come in.  So how can I contain that box to the size
relative to its surrounding div?

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk