Rob,

Here is one solution:

In body {...} change the font-size to an em value such as 1em (more on this
later).

Then change to:
ul#navbarUl {
    clear: both;
    height: 20px;
    width: 100%;
    margin: 0;
    padding: 13px 0;
    background-image: url(images/navbar-bg.jpg);
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
    }
li.navlink {
    float : left;
    width : 20%;
    list-style-type : none;
    text-align: center;
    }
li.navlink a {
    color: white;
    text-decoration: none;
    font-size: 1em;
    letter-spacing: 1px;
    margin: 0;
    padding: 0;
    }

You should also remove the <br> from News and Seminars and consider
replacing the word 'and' with &amp; (ampersand). It still may break into two
lines.

This works in FF win. Not sure about the evil IE.

But there is a bigger issue. If you set font-size to *n* pixels then IE,
including IE 7, will not re-size the font if the user selects a desired Text
Size  in the browser.  Since your content states "...serving the unique
needs of people 50 and older" you should consider the possibility that users
with less than perfect eyesight will view a larger font size via the browser
options. This possibility creates havoc with the nav menu, among other
things.

You may need to think about changing the width of the site to 960px, or so,
to give you additional horizontal space for the nav menu and other columns.

Jim