Erik Harris wrote:

> I think Davoud's response shows us why the answer to the question
> posed in the subject is "virtually nothing."  There are too many
> people using other browsers, and unless we're going to be creating
> websites to work specifically in Firefox, we're still going to have
> to work with the lowest common denominator in the name of site, which
>  has NEVER been Firefox, in the name of "site stability."

I think someone is defining "site stability" on the wrong premises. No
site will ever work and render the same in all browsers, no matter what
lowest common denominator one uses. Neither should they.

That sites created today should work reasonably well in the lowest
common denominator we know of today - IE6/7, is a given. That doesn't,
and shouldn't, prevent anyone from stretching their work/creations/sites
as far as they possibly can in the leading browsers, and whatever other
software they can think of. Firefox 3 is as good a target as any in that
respect.

Sites _should work_ on all essential points when put under a reasonable
amount of stress (by non-broken features) in all major browsers, and
preferably in most minor browsers too. That's essentially all the
"stability" a site need, and getting the rest "stable" is for people
(clients maybe) who like to compare details across browser-land - and
the browser-developers.

So, although Firefox 3 doesn't add much new to web design, what's there
may be used for all it is worth - with complete disregard of what lesser
browsers can handle but without breaking them. Lesser browsers can't
handle more than their support-charts shows no matter what, so their
users will not be missing anything by us providing more to users of the
better browsers.

FWIW: my "lowest common denominator" is Lynx, and I tailor my HTML/CSS
to provide proper support for that, and other, decent non-CSS browsers.
I never tailor a solution _for_ IE6/7 - I tailor IE6/7 for my solutions.

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no