Richard Grevers wrote:
> On 12/12/07, Charlene <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> My explaination is a little bit complicated and not using the proper
>> technical terms. I'm sorry about that but I have a bad cold but a hard
>> deadline.
>>
>> I am setting up a bunch of subdomains such as a.domain.com,
>> b.domain.com... domain.com (or www.domain.com).
>>
>> The page I'll be referencing (call it frame.htm) using an Iframe is on
>> the www.domain.com main folder.  Each of the subdomains will have its
>> own stylesheet.
>>
>> <iframe name="I1" src="http://domain.com/frame.htm"; frameborder="0"
>> height="87" width="96%" scrolling="no"></iframe>
>>
>> I'd like to set the stylesheet in frame.htm to use the stylesheet for
>> the subdomain (ie a.domain.com/css/style.css or b.domain.com/css/style.css).
>>
>> Is there an easy way of doing it?
>>
>> BTW this frame.htm is created 5 times a day, so I would rather not copy
>> it into 30 subdomains 5 times a day.
>>

> Presumably you are assembling the page with some server-side scripting
> language. Most of them have some system variable which contains the
> full domain used in the request (usually the variable name is some
> variant of 'HTTP_HOST' if the server is Apache). This would allow you
> to inject the correct FQDN into the stylesheet call. (Using this
> method it should be possible to eliminate the iframe, too).
>
> Alternatively there should be a solution possible via MOD_REWRITE:
> Have the web pages call a constant path for the css file and modify it
> according to the domain. My Mod rewrite skills aren't up to actually
> giving an example.

MOD_REWRITE might work but the other won't because the PHP (cron job -
run once a day) is creating only ONE file.  Of course I could have the
PHP create 30+ almost identical files in each of the subdomains.  And
then write a program to be sure there is an updated file in each of the
30+ subdomains.

I was looking around and the other solution may be to have JavaScript in
the outer page (in *a.domain.com*) which can interpret GET values by an
IFrame call to the page.  Like:

<iframe name="I1" src="http://domain.com/frame.htm*&subdomain=a*";
frameborder="0" height="87" width="96%" scrolling="no"></iframe>

A third solution I'm looking at is using AJAX to read the
http://domain.com/frame.htm file and inserting it into the spot in the main
document where it belongs instead of an IFrame.  This means that I no longer
have to worry about http://domain.com/frame.htm using a CSS file since it is
only html text and will use the CSS file of the main page which is what I
really want.