Todd,

The problem is using position: absolute for the column on the right. See
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#absolute-positioning for more info.

Both of the elements inside the  wrapper should be floated.

Take a look at this demo and view the source to see the css.

http://www.jimdavis.org/test/floaters.html

www.positioniseverything.net has good info about bugs and hacks for using
floats with IE6.

Also check out the List wiki/FAQ -- http://css-discuss.incutio.com/ for more