Patrick,

I created a test page at http://www.jimdavis.org/test/listtest.html using
your css and my html for the nested lists.

According to Eric's book, "Cascading Style Sheets 2.0" display: none "The
element will generate no boxes at all and thus will neither be displayed nor
impact the layout of the document. Any descendant elements will also be
prevented from appearing, regardless of the value of display for those
elements."

So if my understanding of this definition of display: none is correct then
when ul li ul is set to display: none then it will not be displayed, nor
will any descendants of ul li ul be displayed.

It would appear that IE 6 is getting it right and FF is displaying the
nested lists incorrectly. (GASP!!).

What say the experts on the list?

Jim