Matt,

I have done a demo of how I would solve the problem.
http://www.jimdavis.org/variwidth.php

The idea is to create a div that is the width of the photo. The div will
also contain a holder for the icons.

If you don't want to change each page by hand you can write a php script
that will get the width of the image for you.

Jim