I'll have another look at 8bit png files. I'll check out the min
height css style too. I thought I had seen it somewhere but wasn't too
sure if ie understood it.

As for the navigation across the whole browser, well, I'm a little bit
restricted to the small amount of content, so i based the site on a
fixed width to contain what I had.

I'm still a novice when it comes to font styling using ems, though I
understand the upside of using them...

thanks for all your help so far,,

rob

On 21/01/2008, Michael Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 15:47:13 +0000
> Rob freeman wrote:
>
> > Hello again everyone..
> >

> > Just a couple of questions...
> >
> > I have built a little site which uses png's. These images sit slightly
> > off the wrapper div. The image have a drop shadow which all works in
> > the latest browsers. Now, if I want to keep the shadow in explorer 6
> > and below I have to use a alpha filter, which I need to look into.
> >
> > Has anyone used this filter for older browsers? and does the it
> > validate properly?
> >
> > Or, could you use different images without shadows but only display
> > these for IE browsers 6 and below...Is this possible?
> >

> Have you considered making the shadow a part of the original image. The
> KISS rule applies here. Given it's position you could take a screen
> snapshot including the edge of the background and resave it as a jpg.
> 24/32 bit PNG's are not really web friendly (very slow on dialup).
>

> > Because the my sites type renders different on certain screens
> > resolutions, where the image on the right has an absolute position,
> > the contents section's height gets very small, almost allowing the png
> > file to touch the footer. Is there a way I can set a Min size height
> > to the content div? I dont want set a total height if possible.. It
> > needs to stay validated in all browsers..??
> >

> min-height: is a valid css property but IE<7 does not recognise it.
>
> If you set your body font as a percentage then use EM's to scale it
> (where 1em = 100%) you will resolve many font issues. Using percentages
> throughout can result in trouble with nested font scaling (you get 90%
> of 90%). To be honest i haven't taken the time to check if this is your
> issue. Work beckons...

> > Thanks for all your help..this is a great list..!
> >

> Hope i have helped.
>
> --
> Michael
>
> All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall
> be well
>
>  - Julian of Norwich 1342 - 1416

Rob Freeman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]