Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:

> The DOCTYPE trigger a non-standardised switch, which affects both HTML
> and CSS (and, to a lesser extent, DOM). It is a de-facto standard
> implemented very, very, very similarly across all major browsers.

What? Are you kidding?

Or do you mean the "de-facto standard" on making a choice between modes
called "quirks mode" or "standards mode"? That's something that major
browsers sort-of roughly agree, loosely speaking. The _meanings_ of
these modes are, however, undocumented (or with sketchy descriptions
that do not actually describe most of the features) and widely
diverging.

Create an "HTML" document without a doctype declaration, throw it at IE
6, IE 7, Firefox, and Opera (to consider just some common browsers), and
observe quite different behaviors.

To prove that I'm wrong, please provide a description of what happens in
"quirks" mode. That is, a document that tells how the browsers behave in
that mode. Hint: You won't find one; the best starting point is probably
my document
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/quirks-mode.html
and it certainly does not describe any de facto standard or even
reasonably consistent browser behavior (because there is no such thing).

Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/