Hi Aaron,

> The CSS it totally weird, how did you derive it ?

It's hard to explain how I came up with the CSS for my layouts, but here
goes... Basically there were two important things that needed to work. I
needed full height column background colours and I wanted the main column to
come first in the source even though it is second on the page (this was
needed for good SEO).

To make equal height columns work I had to make sure that the column
background divs always stretched to the height of the longest column
content. I did this by nesting the column background divs and I put the 3
divs of content in the centre, side by side. From here the position of each
background div and content div is simply moved horizontally with relative
positioning to the right place. Any overhang is cut off by an
overflow:hidden on the outermost div.

It took me a few weeks of experimenting before I came up with the final
method that works in all browsers. My notebook now has pages and pages of
weird boxes drawn all over the place along with lists of measurements and
calculations. My friends must have thought I was going mad!

- Matt =)

Matthew James Taylor
http://matthewjamestaylor.com